What's inside this article:
- Basic information
- Open the edit screen
- Customize the widget layout
- Set the widget content
- Configure the widget settings
- Preview the widget
- Set the status and save the widget
The Content widget is a highly versatile widget that offers a wide variety of layout options and can promote a mixture of content page types.
You can include Content widgets on the following website items:
This article assumes that the edit screen for the Content widget (shown below) is already open. For basic information about creating a new widget, see the following article:
In the Layout section, a graphic is included for each layout to show how it is rendered on devices with different screen sizes (mobile, tablet, and desktop).
Select the box for the layout you want to use. The following elements might be configurable (all elements are not available for every layout):
By default, a Content widget includes just the title for each promoted content item.
To use the default layout, ensure None is selected under Display Category/Date/Label.
You can also display an additional element for each promoted content item. Add any of the following elements:
- Category: The name of the Primary Category for the item that opens the Category archive page when clicked.
- Label: A non-clickable custom label that you can add in the Widget teaser or Website teaser settings for each item.
- Exact time: The exact time when the item was published.
- Relative time: How long ago the item was published (for example, 20 minutes ago).
Tick the box next to Display introduction to enable the option to display an introduction for each promoted content item.
The introduction is generated as follows:
- The Introduction field in the item's Widget teaser settings.
- The Introduction field in the item's Website teaser settings.
- The Introduction field in the item's General settings.
If none of the above fields are filled, an introduction is not displayed with the item.
Tick the box next to Display Loop video to enable the option to display a Loop video instead of an image for each promoted item.
The Loop video is generated as follows:
- The Loop video field in the item's Widget teaser settings.
- The Loop video field in the item's Website teaser settings.
If neither of the fields above are filled, a Loop video is not displayed with the item.
We have introduced a new method for configuring the mobile app homepage. For detailed information about the new solution, see the following article:
The Mobile app Top story setting does not send the Content widget to the new version of the mobile app homepage. However, this setting still works and remains available in Pangea CMS for mobile app users who have not yet updated to the latest app version.
When you are satisfied with the widget layout, hit Next to set the widget content.
In the Content section, specify how the widget will be populated. The following modes are available for a Content widget:
- Auto: The widget will promote the latest items that meet the criteria you define in the widget settings. For example, configure the widget to always promote the latest videos from a particular Category. The widget content will update automatically when new items are published that meet the defined criteria.
- Manual: The widget will promote the items you manually select. The content will not change unless the widget is manually updated.
- Semi-auto: The widget will promote a combination of Manual items (according to the rules for Manual mode) and Auto items (according to the rules for Auto mode).
For information about using your chosen mode, see the relevant article below:
After setting the widget content, hit Next to configure the widget settings.
In the Settings section, the following options are available:
- Add a Header that is displayed above the widget.
- Adjust the default Widget name that is used to identify the widget in Pangea CMS (not visible on the public site).
- Add a Footer link that is displayed below the widget.
For detailed information about the widget settings, see the following article:
After configuring the widget settings, hit Next to preview the widget.
In the Preview section, check how the widget will look when it is published on the site. Select Desktop, Tablet, or Mobile to preview the page on different devices.
When you are satisfied, set the status and save the widget.
Before saving the widget, choose your preferred option in the Status drop-down menu:
- Enabled: The widget will be visible on the public site after you save it (provided it is included on a website item with the Public status).
- Disabled: The widget will not be visible on the public site after you save it.
Hit Save or Save & close to save the widget.