What's inside this article:
This article explains how to add widget content with Manual mode enabled. Manual mode is available for the following widgets:
- Breaking news widgets
- Content widgets
- FactCheck widgets
- Multimedia widgets
- Poll widgets
- Slide-in widgets
Manual mode lets you manually select every item that is promoted on the widget. The items will not change unless the widget is manually updated. The following customization options are also available:
- Set the order of the items.
- Customize the teaser settings for any content page that is promoted on the widget.
- Add a custom placeholder to the widget.
To enable Manual mode, select Manual in the Content section of the widget settings.
To promote an existing content page on a widget:
- Hit Set manual content.
- Adjust the search filters in the left panel according to your preferences, then hit Search.
- Select + Attach (the plus icon) next to each item you want to promote on the widget.
- Check the items under Attached items. The following options are available:
- Remove an item: Select Remove (the trash icon) to remove an item.
- Reorder items: Drag and drop any box to change the position of the item.
- Hit Save to confirm your choice and return to the Content screen.
The attached items are now listed on the Content screen. The following options are available for each item:
- (A): Reorder: Change the position of the item.
- (B): Add teaser / Edit teaser: Update the teaser settings.
- (C): Live site: Open the item on the public site.
- (D): Delete: Remove the item from the widget.
A placeholder is a custom item on a widget. When you create a placeholder, you need to define each element individually (such as the headline, link, and image). Placeholders are useful for creating links to the following pages:
- Sections / Infopages
- Category archives
- Special pages on your site, such as the Podcasts page or Program index
- Pages from external sites
You can include a placeholder on the following widgets:
To add a placeholder:
- Hit Set manual content.
- Go to + Add placeholder.
- In the Placeholder settings, provide only the elements that will be visible on the current widget. If you're not sure, check the widget Layout settings.
- If you want the placeholder to function as a link to another page, define the link under Link.
- Hit Save > Save to return to the Content screen.
The placeholder is now listed on the Content screen. The following options are available for each placeholder:
- (A): Reorder: Change the position of the placeholder.
- (B): Edit: Open the Placeholder settings dialog.
- (C): Delete: Remove the placeholder from the widget.
Teaser settings let you customize the item preview that is visible on the widget. For example, create a shorter version of the title, or add a more eye-catching visual. To get started, hit Add teaser / Edit teaser.
For detailed information about adding teaser settings, see the following article: