What's inside this article:
This article explains how to search for content in Pangea CMS.
The information in this article is focused on the main Search screen. However, most of the information also applies for other content searches you might run in CMS (for example, when you search for content to promote on a widget).
To run a content search:
- Select the Content tab.
- Set the search filters according to your needs.
- Hit Search.
The results refresh to include only the content that matches your defined search filters.
You can also sort the results.
You can set the order of the search results via the Sort drop-down menu.
The following options are available:
- Latest modified: Items modified most recently are displayed first.
- First modified: Items modified the furthest back in time are displayed first.
- Latest published: Items published most recently are displayed first.
- First published: Items published the furthest back in time are displayed first.
Use filters to narrow the search results and quickly find specific content. For example, you can set the filters to see only articles published in the last 24 hours.
Find descriptions of the available filters for a content search in the sections below:
- Publication date
- Content type
- Modified by
- Include deleted content
The quickest way to find a specific content item is using keywords. Enter keywords in the Type to search by keywords... box.
You can enter a single word or a phrase. The results will include only items that contain your entered keywords in the following fields:
Consider surrounding a phrase with quotes ("") for more precise results. For example, if you enter "cats are wonderful creatures" (with quotes), the results will include only items that contain this exact phrase. If you enter cats are wonderful creatures (no quotes), the results will also include items that contain just individual keywords.
You can search for content created by other sites under the same entity. For example, if your site is under the entity RFE/RL, you can search for content from other RFE/RL sites.
Under Sites, one option must be selected. Based on your selection, the results will include:
- This site: Only content created by the current site.
- Other sites: Content created by all sites from your entity (excluding the current site).
- All sites: Content created by all sites from your entity (including the current site).
- Specific site: Content created by the specific site you select.
You cannot edit content from other sites. However, the following options might be useful:
- Open a published content page on the public site.
- Copy or clone a published content page.
Under Publication date, one option must be selected. Based on your selection, the results will include:
- Today: Only items published today.
- Last 24 hours: Only items published in the last 24 hours.
- Last 7 days: Only items published in the last 7 days.
- Last 30 days: Only items published in the last 30 days.
- All: All valid items regardless of publication date.
- Custom: Only items published during the custom time period you define.
- Scheduled: Only items with scheduled publication.
Under Content type, optionally select one or more content types. The results will only include the selected content type(s).
If you don't select a content type, the search results might include all content types.
Categories (previously Zones) organize content pages on your site by topic. For example, your website might have a Politics Category for all content relating to politics. Categories work like folders on your computer, where the content pages are stored.
Under Categories, optionally select one or more Categories. The results will only include items from the selected Category / Categories.
If you don't select a Category, the search results might include items from any Category.
Every content item in Pangea CMS has an assigned status. An icon representing the status is visible next to the title in the search results. Hover over the icon to see the exact status.
Under Status, optionally select one or more status groups. Based on your selection, the results will include:
- Draft: Items with the Draft status.
- Edited: Items with the Edited status.
- Published: Items with the Published and Scheduled statuses.
- Waiting: Items with the Canceled, Draft, Processing, Uploading, Upload failed, and Waiting statuses.
If you don't select a status group, the search results might include any valid items regardless of status.
Under Authors, optionally select one or more authors. The results will only include items produced by one of the selected authors.
Click inside the box and start typing to quickly find a specific author (search based on the author's first name, last name, or English name).
If you don't select an author, the results might include any valid items regardless of the assigned authors.
Under Modified by, optionally select one or more CMS users. The results will only include items that have been modified at some point by one of the selected CMS users.
Click inside the box and start typing to quickly find a specific user (search based on the user's first name, last name, or username).
Tags help sites to organize content internally. Each content item might have one or more assigned tags.
Under Tags, optionally select one or more tags. The results will only include items where at least one of the selected tags is assigned.
Click inside the box and start typing to quickly find a specific tag.
If you don't select a tag, the results might include any valid items regardless of tags.
No content item is permanently deleted from Pangea CMS. A deleted content item is removed from the public site, but can always be restored in CMS.
If you tick Include Deleted Content, the results will include deleted content.
Deleted items are marked red in the search results. You can edit or restore a deleted item by hitting the relevant icon on the item box.
If you struggle to find content using search, review the sections below:
When you run a search, CMS stores the search filters and applies them for future searches. If you can't find a specific content item, the results might be limited by a previous filter. Hit Clear to restore the default filters before running a new search.
By default, the search results only include items published in the last 30 days. To find older content, select All under Publication date.
If you can't find a video, audio clip, or document that you uploaded to CMS, it's possible that there was an issues with the upload. Select Waiting under Status to quickly find items that are still uploading, processing, or have the Upload failed status.