What's inside this article:
- Basic information
- Add the page title and URL slug
- Add images
- Create an image caption
- Crop an image
- Add a sensitive content warning
- Choose the Website teaser image
- Add the Photo gallery to a Category
- Save and publish the Photo gallery
- Learn more
A Photo gallery lets you bring together and display a collection of striking or compelling images that may be tied to a particular region, topic, or event.
To create a new Photo gallery in Pangea CMS, go to New > Multimedia > Photo gallery.
Add the title for the Photo gallery via General > Title.
The title will visible at the top of the Photo gallery page, and will also be applied as the page meta title. For detailed information about the purpose of the meta title, see the following article:
After you enter the title, it is recommended to create a URL Slug that is added to the URL for the page. For detailed information, see the following article:
You can add either of the following image types to a Photo gallery:
- Internal images: Images that have already been uploaded to Pangea CMS.
- External images: Images from the following external agencies:
- AFP (Agence France-Presse)
- AP (Associated Press)
To add internal images to a Photo gallery:
- Hit Select content on the Images screen.
- Ensure Internal is selected.
- Adjust the search filters in the left panel according to your preferences, then hit Search.
- Select + Attach (the plus icon) next to each image you want to add.
- Check the images under Attached items. The following options are available:
- Remove an image: Select Remove (the trash icon) to remove an image from the Photo gallery.
- Reorder images: Drag and drop any box to change the position of the image in the Photo gallery.
- Hit Save to confirm your choice and return to the Images screen.
The attached images are visible on the Images screen. It is important to create a caption for each image.
The steps for adding external images are very similar to those for internal images. However, you need to select External on the Attach dialog.
After you hit + Attach to add an external image, the Image upload dialog appears. Wait while the image is uploaded. This process normally takes a few seconds. However, it might take longer, depending on the speed of your network.
It is important to create a caption for each image in the Photo gallery. The caption provides context for the image and explains its relevance on the page. It is visible directly below the image on the public site and is also applied as the ALT text for the image.
Enter the image caption in the Caption box. The image's English Title is filled by default. However, it is important to create a custom caption in your local language that fits the current page.
The following information is available to help you formulate the caption:
- (A): Metadata: The metadata for each image.
- (B): Description: The internal image description.
If necessary, hit Restore to default to revert the caption back to its default value (the image's English Title).
To crop an image, select the Crop the image icon. During cropping, the optimal aspect ratio is automatically maintained to ensure the image is properly displayed on the public site.
Tick the box next to Contains sensitive content if the image is potentially upsetting or offensive. Visitors see a warning before viewing the image and must manually hit Click to reveal.
The first image in the Photo gallery is automatically added in the Website teaser settings as the horizontal and vertical image.
The Website teaser images for a content page are visible by default when the page is previewed on the public site, for example:
Select 1 in the drop-down menu to set an image as the first image.
Hit Website teaser in the left panel if you want to crop the Website teaser images, or manually select different Website teaser images.
Categories (previously Zones) organize content pages on your website by topic. For example, your website might have a Politics Category for all content relating to politics. You cannot save the Photo gallery until it is added to at least one Category.
Add the Photo gallery to a Category via General > Categories.
Detailed information about adding a content page to a Category is available in the following article:
Before saving the Photo gallery, select your preferred option in the Status drop-down menu:
- Draft: The Photo gallery will be assigned the Draft status after you save it. It will be available for further editing in CMS, but it will not be visible on the public site.
- Edited: The Photo gallery will be assigned the Edited status after you save it. It will be available for further editing in CMS, but it will not be visible on the public site.
- Published: The Photo gallery will be assigned the Published status after you save it. It will be visible on the public site, and it will also be available for further editing in CMS.
Hit Save or Save & close to confirm and apply your preferences.
This article describes just the most important settings for creating and publishing a Photo gallery. The following articles might also be helpful:
- SEO for content pages
- Adding Website teaser settings
- Adding Social media settings
- Assigning and managing Tags