What's inside this article:
- About categories
- Assign content to a category
- Manage primary and secondary categories
- Further recommendations
Categories (previously zones) organize content pages by topic. For example, your website might have a Politics category for all content relating to politics.
Every content page in Pangea CMS must be assigned to at least one category. Categories work like folders on your computer, where the content pages are stored.
Categories affect website navigation as follows:
- Category archive pages let website visitors browse all the content from a particular category.
- Widgets can be configured to only promote content from a particular category.
- The following elements on content pages are assigned according to category:
- Slide-in widgets
- You Might Also Like 2.0
Yes. A content page can be assigned to multiple categories. However, the page can only have one primary category. Any additional categories are used as secondary categories.
Primary and secondary categories affect website navigation as follows:
- Both primary and secondary categories affect how content is distributed. For example, the category archive page lists all content assigned to the category (regardless of whether the category is primary or secondary).
- Only the primary category affects the design of the content page. For example, if a Region is assigned to a particular category, the Region is only displayed on pages using the category as the primary category.
To assign a content page to a category:
- Select General in the left panel on the content item's edit screen.
- Click inside the Categories text box. You see a list of the available categories for the content type.
- Start typing a keyword to narrow the list.
- Tick the box next to each category you want to add.
The added categories appear under the text box. If necessary, click the x icon to remove a category.
If you add multiple categories, refer to the Manage primary and secondary categories section.
The changes are not applied on the public website until you click Save or Save & close.
If you add multiple categories, you need to select one primary category. The remaining categories are used as secondary categories.
When you add multiple categories, the primary category is marked blue, and the secondary categories are marked gray. Click any category box to mark it as the primary category.
The following articles might be helpful: