What's inside this article:
- Open the edit screen
- Category type
- Required settings
- Category distribution
- Valid content types
- Page elements
- Archive page
- TV and Radio Category settings
- Set the status and save the Category
This article assumes that the Edit Category (Zone) screen (shown below) for the Category you want to edit is already open.
Open the Edit Category (Zone) screen by creating a new Category or editing an existing Category. For instructions, see the following article:
When you create a new Category, the Category type is defined under Program Pages. Select your preferred option below:
- None (selected by default): Create a Content category for promoting any content.
- TV: Create a TV category for promoting video content.
- Radio: Create a Radio category for promoting audio content.
Detailed information about the different Category types is available in the following article:
The following settings are required and must be completed before you can save the Category:
In the Title box, enter the Category name that will be visible on the public site.
We recommend following the guidelines below:
- Use a short title (maximum 40-60 characters).
- Use a descriptive title that accurately reflects the content of the Category.
- Consider including keywords for SEO optimization.
Under English Name, enter the Category name in English. The English Name helps identify the Category in Pangea CMS (not visible on the public site). Use of English is important to ensure the Category is universally recognizable.
For Content Categories, it is required to select a layout for the Category archive page (or opt not to create a Category archive). Detailed information is available in the following article:
The Metadata settings control how the Category archive page is previewed via Search Engine Results Pages (SERPs) and social media posts.
It is required to complete all of the settings below:
- META Title
- META Description
- META Keywords
Detailed information is available in the following article:
The following options are available for controling how the Category is distributed:
Tick the box next to RSS Enabled to make the Category available as an RSS feed.
This lets visitors subscribe to the RSS feed and be notified when new content is published. All Categories with RSS enabled are available via the RSS/Podcasts page on the public site.
Tick the box next to Show in Archive if you want to include the Category in the Archive Category for your site.
Your site might have one special Archive Category that includes content from all Categories with the Show in Archive setting enabled. If your site does not have an Archive Category, this setting has no effect.
Tick the box next to Enable for mobile apps to send content from the Category to the mobile / smart TV apps for your service.
We have introduced a new method for configuring the mobile app homepage. For detailed information about the new solution, see the following article:
The Enable for mobile apps setting does not send the Category to the new version of the mobile app homepage. However, this setting still works and remains available in Pangea CMS for mobile app users who have not yet updated to the latest app version.
Under Enable Content Type, select which content types editors will be able to add to the Category.
If you want to make the Category available for all content types, tick Check all.
You can assign some or all of the following page elements to any Category:
- (A): Assign a You Might Also Like via You Might Also Like.
- (B): Assign a Slide-in widget via Slide-in widget.
- (C): Assign a Region via Right Responsive Region.
These elements will be visible on content pages that use the Category as the Primary Category. Detailed information is available in the following articles:
For a Region, you can also specify on which content page types the Region will be visible. More information is available in the following article:
A Category archive is a single page on the public site that lets visitors browse all content from the same Category.
For detailed information about creating a Category archive for a Content Category, see the following article:
For detailed information about creating a Multimedia archive for a TV or Radio Category, see the following article:
As soon as you select TV or Radio under Program Pages, the Program Setting box appears.
The Program Setting box contains special settings that are valid only for TV / Radio Categories. For detailed information about these settings, see the following article:
You can save the Category after completing the required settings. First, select your preferred status under Category (Zone) Status.
The following general statuses are available for any Category:
- Visible on site - enabled: The Category is visible on the public site and available in Pangea CMS for adding content.
- Visible on site - discontinued: The Category is visible on the public site, but content cannot be added via Pangea CMS.
The following statuses will only work when you are creating a new Category:
- Visible in CMS only: The Category is not visible on the public site, but content can be added via Pangea CMS.
- Archive: A special Category that includes content from all Categories with the Show in Archive setting enabled.
- Disabled: The Category is not visible on the public site, and content cannot be added via Pangea CMS.
After selecting your preferred status, select Save to apply the changes.