Content categories are designed to contain a mixture of different content types and are the most common category type in Pangea CMS. This article explains how to manage the settings for a Content category.
This article assumes that the Edit Category (Zone) screen (shown in the screenshot below) is already open. To learn how to access this screen, refer to the following article:
To learn about the settings for editing a Content category, refer to the following sections:
- Manage general settings
- Share via USAGM direct
- Configure the category archive page
- Add metadata
- Further recommendations
The general settings for the category are available at the top of the screen.
The following options are available:
- Title: Provide a name for the category.
- Social network username: Optionally enter a Twitter username that is included in the Tweet when a visitor shares a content page from the category via Twitter.
- English name: Provide an English name that is included in the URL for the category archive page and enhances visibility via search engines.
- Program Pages: Define the Category type. Select None to create a Content category.
- RSS Enabled: Tick this box to display the category on your website's RSS feed page.
- Show In Archive: Specify if you want to include the category on your website's archive page. If your website does not have an archive page, this setting has no effect. To add an archive page for your website, create a category with the Archive status.
- Enable for mobile apps: Tick this box to display the category in mobile and smart TV apps.
- Category (Zone) status: Define the category status.
- Parent Category (Zone): Select top level zone if you are editing a top level category. If you are editing a child category, select the top level category that the child category is linked to.
- You Might Also Like: Add a You Might Also Like (YMAL) widget that is displayed at the bottom of each content page from the category.
- You Might Also Like Section Selection: Add a You Might Also Like (YMAL) section that is displayed at the bottom of each content page from the category.
- Slide-in widget: Add a Slide-in widget that briefly appears when visitors open a content page from the category.
- Right Responsive Region: Add a Region that is displayed on all content pages from the category. The region is displayed on the right side of the page on desktop and at the bottom of the page on mobile / tablet.
The list on the right side of the screen lets you specify the content types that can be manually assigned to the category.
The following options are available:
- All content types: Ensure that Enable Content Type is ticked, then tick Check all. All content types can be manually assigned to the category.
- Some content types: Ensure that Enable Content Type is ticked, then manually select content types. Only the selected content types can be manually assigned to the category.
- No content types: Untick the box next to Enable Content Type. Content cannot be manually assigned to the category.
The following options are currently available for sharing content via USAGM Direct:
- None (selected by default): No content from this category is shared via USAGM Direct.
- Share all content from zone: All video and audio content from this category is automatically shared via USAGM Direct. Other content types cannot be shared.
A category archive page lets visitors browse all the content that is assigned to the category.
To enable the category archive page, ensure the box next to Enable category (zone) archive page is ticked.
The following additional settings are available:
- (A): Change page layout: Select the layout for the category archive page.
- (B): Data archive is present since: Select the date when content in this category was first published. This limits the dates that are searchable via the calendar on the category archive page. For example, if you select April 19th 2021, no prior dates will be searchable.
- (C): Include sub-categories on this archive page (Appears if the category has child categories): Tick this box to display content from child categories on the category archive page.
- (D): URLs: After you save the category, you can retrieve the URLs for the category archive page.
You need to provide the following metadata before you can save the category:
- META Title: Enter a title that some search engines use to select search results.
- META Description: Enter a description that some search engines use to select search results.
- META Keywords: Enter a collection of keywords that releate the category. Some search engines may guide visitors who enter these keywords to the category archive page.
For general information about categories in Pangea CMS, refer to the following article:
For information about managing other category types in Pangea CMS, refer to the following articles: