What's inside this article:
- About the Trends widget
- Create a Trends widget
- Set the widget content
- Manage the widget settings
- Embed the widget
- Further recommendations
A Trends Widget lists the current 'trending' content items from your website. This means content items that have received a high number of views within a specified time period (based on Adobe Analytics data).
Below are some of the customization options available for each Trends widget:
- Time period: Set the time period that the widget data is taken from. For example, display items with the most views during the last 24 hours.
- Content type: Control which content types can be listed on the widget. For example, display just trending videos.
- Categories: List only items from one or more categories. This option lets you create a widget that displays just items on a specific topic.
For information about additional customization options, go to Set widget content.
A Trends widget can list up to 10 items. However, the number of items can be set individually for each Trends widget. A Trends widget displays just a title for each listed item. If an item has a special Website teaser title, this title is displayed instead of the main title.
The items listed on a Trends widget are updated automatically every 30 minutes.
Yes. To ensure that only recently published content items appear on the Trends widget, enable the Limit content by Publication date setting. For more information, go to Set the widget content.
A Trends widget does not display the total number of views for an item. You see the number of views during the selected Time period. For example, if Time period is set to last 24 hours, the widget displays the number of views in the last 24 hours. For this reason, the number of views for each item on a Trends widget may go up and down over time.
A Trends widget does not display the number of views by default. You can enable this option in the widget settings.
To create a Trends widget:
- Click Sections in the top menu and select the place where you want to add the Trends widget. Choose from the following:
- You Might Also Like 2.0
- Select the name of the specific page where you want to add the widget.
- Under Widgets in the left panel, drag and drop the Trends box to the position on the page where you want to add the Trends widget.
The creation wizard for the new Trends widget opens in the same tab.
On the Trends widget: Content screen, you can set the widget content. The following options are available:
Under Max items, set the number of items that the widget will display. The highest number you can enter is 10.
Under Time period, set the time period that the widget data is taken from. For example, if you select last 24 hours, only page views from the last 24 hours are counted. All page views within the specified time period are counted by default. This means that an older item might be listed on the Trends widget if it receives enough views.
If you do not want the widget to display older items, tick the box next to Limit content by Publication date. When you enable this option, only items published during the selected Time period are displayed on the widget.
For example, if you enable Limit content by Publication date when last 24 hours is selected under Time period, the widget only displays items published in the last 24 hours.
Under Content type, optionally select one or more content types. The widget only displays the selected content types. If you do not select a content type, the widget can display all content types.
Under Categories, optionally select one or more categories. The widget only displays content from the selected categories. If you do not select a category, the widget can display content from all categories.
If you tick Primary category only, the widget only displays items that use one of the selected categories as the primary category. If an item uses the category as a secondary category, the item is not displayed.
If you tick Display number of views, the widget displays the number of views for each listed item.
After setting the widget content, click Next to proceed to the next stage of setup.
On the Trends widget: Settings screen, you can manage the remaining widget settings. The following options are available:
Use the Header options drop-down menu to select what is displayed at the top of the Trends widget. The following options are available:
- No header: Display nothing at the top of the widget.
- Display title: Display a title at the top of the widget.
- Use image as header: Display an image at the top of the widget.
If you selected Display title or Use image as header, you can optionally add a Header link.
Under Widget name, optionally adjust the default name that helps you identify the widget in Pangea CMS. The Widget name is not displayed on the public website.
If the widget includes a header, you can make the header a link to another page. The following options are available under Header link:
- Link to Category: Add a link to a Category archive page.
- Link to Section: Add a link to a Section page.
- Link to Special page: Add a link to a Special page from your website. This includes podcast pages, RSS pages, broadcast schedules, and more.
- Manual link: Add a link to any page by entering the URL.
The remaining steps differ according to the option selected under Header link. You may need to define the following settings:
- Categories: Select the Category archive page that the link will point to.
- Sections: Select the Section page that the link will point to.
- Special pages: Select the Special page page that the link will point to.
- URL: Enter the URL that the link will point to. Use either format below:
- A full URL (such as https://rferl.org)
- A slash followed by the URL slug for a page from your website (such as /home)
- Link option: Define how the page opens.
Optionally use the Footer link drop-down menu to add a link at the bottom of the widget. The available options are the same as for a Header link.
Under Link text, you can enter custom text for the link. Otherwise, your website's default text for Footer links is used.
Tick Send Trends data to mobile app if you want to display the Trends widget on the homepage of the mobile app. This option can be enabled for one Trends widget at a time. When you enable this option for a new widget, it is automatically disabled for the previous widget.
For information about managing the content in Pangea mobile apps, see the following article:
Click Save or Save & close to confirm and apply your preferences.
After you save the Trends widget, it can be embedded on text-based content pages (including Articles and Feature stories). For instructions, see the following article:
The following articles might be helpful: