Live Blog is a dynamic content type that lets you cover developing live events in real-time by publishing a series of posts on a live feed.
What's inside this article:
- Access the Live Blog edit screen
- Add posts
- Manage posts
- Customize settings
- Set when the LIVE badge appears
- Connect a Twitter feed
- Manage Highlights / Summary
- Preview a Live Blog
To create a new Live Blog, go to New > Content > Live Blog.
Alternatively, to open the Live Blog edit screen for an existing Live Blog:
- Find the Live Blog that you want to edit using the Pangea CMS Search tool.
- Click the Live Blog title in the relevant box on the search results page. Alternatively, click Edit (the pencil icon).
The Editor screen shows a preview of the Live Blog page that is ready to edit.
The following options are available (the options marked as required must be completed before you can save the Live Blog):
- Title (required): Enter the title for the Live Blog.
- Category (required): Select one or more categories.
- Main image: Optionally select a main image.
- Introduction: Optionally provide a plain-text description of the Live Blog that appears below the main image on the public website.
We also recommend selecting the correct Status using the drop-down menu in the top panel. The selected status will be applied to the Live Blog only after you save it. The following options are available:
- Draft: The Live Blog is marked Draft and will not be available on the public website.
- Published: The Live Blog is marked Published and will be available on the public website.
- Edited: The Live Blog is marked Edited and will not be available on the public website.
After completing the required settings and selecting the correct status, click Save or Save & close to confirm and apply your preferences.
After creating and saving a new Live Blog, you can start adding posts.
You can add a new post to a Live Blog using any of the methods below:
- Click New post in the left panel or on the Editor screen.
- After finding a Live Blog using the Pangea CMS Search tool, click + New blog entry (the plus icon) in the relevant box on the search results page.
You can then provide the following information in the New post window that appears:
- (A): Blog post title: Optionally provide a title for the post. First tick the box next to Display Title and then enter the title.
- (B): Highlight title: Optionally provide a title that is used for the post in Highlights. If you don't provide a Highlights title, the Blog post title is used in Highlights. If you don't provide a Blog post title or a Highlights title, the post cannot appear in Highlights. If desired, tick the box next to Custom highlights title and then enter the title.
- (C): Authors: Optionally use the drop-down menu to specify one or more authors for the post. You cannot use an author who isn’t already added to Pangea CMS.
- (D): Feature this post: Optionally ensure that the post remains at the top of the Live Blog feed for a specified period. Tick the box and then define how long the post will remain featured.
- (E): Content: Provide content for the post.
Click Save & publish to confirm and apply your preferences. The post appears immediately on the Live Blog feed.
After adding posts to a Live Blog, you can manage the existing posts using either method below:
- Click Posts in the left panel.
- After finding a Live Blog using the Pangea CMS Search tool, click the Blog entries icon in the relevant box on the search results page.
The following options are available via the Search posts for screen:
- (A): Search: Use the search filter in the top panel to search for specific posts.
- (B): Add as featured: Click the star icon so that it turns blue to mark the post as featured. This means that the post remains at the top of the Live Blog feed. To stop featuring the post, click the star icon again so that it turns white.
- (C): Edit a post: Click Edit item (the pencil icon) to edit the post.
- (D): View post history: Click History to view a history of edits to the post.
- (E): View post: Click Live site (the globe icon) to view the post on the public website (this option only appears when the Live Blog is published).
- (F): Remove a post: Click Remove item (the trash icon) to remove the post from the Live Blog.
Click Save to confirm any changes preferences.
You can customize the appearance and behavior of a Live Blog using the links under Settings in the left panel.
The following options are available:
- General: Adjust basic Live Blog settings such as the title, main image, and introduction.
- Live broadcasting: Specify when the LIVE badge appears on the Live Blog.
- Twitter feed: Connect a Twitter feed with the Live Blog.
- Website teaser: Define how the Live Blog is promoted from widgets and other pages on your website.
- Social Media teaser: Define how the Live Blog is promoted when shared via social media.
- Contributors: Add the names of additional authors or photographers who have contributed to the Live Blog. This information is used internally by payroll and is not visible on the public website.
- Tags: Assign tags that allow you to more easily search for the article within Pangea CMS.
- Comments: Enable or disable the option for registered website users to leave comments on the Live Blog and manage any existing comments.
- Miscellaneous: Add internal notes that are visible to anybody with the rights to access the Live Blog edit screen. Notes are not searchable in Pangea CMS and are not visible on the public website.
You can set a start time and an end time for a Live Blog. During this time, the LIVE badge appears on the Live Blog page. If the Live Blog is connected to a Twitter feed, Tweets are automatically displayed on the Live Blog only while it is live.
To set when your Live Blog will start and end, click Live broadcasting in the left panel.
Adjust the following settings according to your preferences:
- (A): Broadcast time zone: Select the time zone that the start and end times apply for. Your website time zone is pre-selected by default.
- (B): Date & time from: Set the start time for the Live Blog (format: YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM).
- (C): Date & time to: Set the end time for the Live Blog (format: YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM).
- (D): Display time stamp: Tick the box if you want to include a time stamp next to each blog post to show exactly when the post was published.
Click Save or Save & close to confirm and apply your preferences.
You can configure a Live Blog to display Tweets containing the tags that you specify from one or more Twitter feeds.
To connect a Twitter feed with a Live Blog:
- Click Twitter feed under Settings in the left panel.
- Under Twitter feed, enter the name (without @) for one feed or multiple feeds. For multiple feeds, separate entries with a comma and no spaces.
- Under Twitter hash tags, enter one tag or multiple tags (without #). For multiple tags, separate entries with a comma and no spaces.
- Click Save or Save & close to confirm and apply your preferences.
The Live Blog is now linked to the specified Twitter feed.
When the Live Blog is live, Pangea CMS regularly check for and automatically adds Tweets that meet your defined criteria to the Live Blog feed. You can also click Fetch Tweets to manually check for and add relevant Tweets.
When you add a Highlights section to a Live Blog, a content box is created in the left panel of the Live Blog page. This content box provides visitors with an at-a-glance summary of Live Blog developments with links to key posts.
Click Highlights in the left panel to set up Highlights.
For more information, refer to the following article:
Use the options under Preview in the left panel to preview the Live Blog page on devices with different screen sizes (desktop, tablet, or mobile). You need to save any changes to the Live Blog by clicking Save before the changes appear in the preview.
If the status of the Live Blog is Published, you can use the Live Site button at the top of the screen to open the Live Blog on the public website.