What's inside this article:
- Basic information
- Start editing
- Manage versions
- Modify cloned widgets
- Retrieve a sharing link
- Increase the number of permitted versions
Cloning is available for the following website items:
Cloning lets you edit a website item privately, without impacting the published version. This is ideal if you need to make significant changes to the content and / or layout. Cloning works as follows:
- When you create a clone, the layout and widgets exactly match the original version.
- You can freely edit the clone without impacting the original version.
- If a widget on the clone has not been modified, it continues to inherit updates from the original version.
- If a widget on the clone has been modified, it no longer inherits updates from the original version.
This article assumes that the Editor screen for the relevant website item (shown below) is already open.
For basic information about creating and editing website items, see the following articles:
Check the current cloned versions in the Versions drop-down menu. Use the drop-down menu to select the version you want to edit.
The current active version is marked with the Active badge. If the website item has the Public status, this is the version that is visible on the public site.
The following options are available:
To create a new clone:
- Ensure the version you want to clone is selected in the drop-down menu.
- Hit the Clone selected version icon.
- Under Version Title, add a name to identify the version in Pangea CMS. The title will not be visible on the public site. Hit Clone to confirm. If necessary, you will be able to change the title later.
The Editor screen for the clone opens. Go to the following section for information about editing the clone:
If the website item has the Public status, the active version is the version that is visible on the public site. To change the active version:
- Ensure the version you want to set as active is selected in the drop-down menu.
- Hit the Set selected version active icon.
The selected version is now active.
To change the title of a version:
- Ensure the version you want to rename is selected in the drop-down menu.
- Hit the Edit selected version icon.
- Enter the new title in the Version Title box, and select Save.
The new title is now applied.
To delete an existing version:
- Ensure the version you want to delete is selected in the drop-down menu.
- Hit the Delete selected version icon, then select Delete to confirm the action.
The selected version is now deleted and cannot be restored.
The following conditions apply for modifying widgets on a clone:
- Widgets that have not been modified via the clone are treated as cloned. Cloned widgets inherit all updates from the original version.
- Widgets that have been modified via the clone are treated as independent. Independent widgets do not inherit updates from the original version.
Via the Editor screen for a clone, you can verify if each widget is currently cloned or independent. If a widget is cloned, you see the Cloned label (widget A below). If you do not see this label, the widget is independent (widget B below).
Go to ≡ (three lines) > Edit to modify a widget. For cloned widgets, you see a message explaining that the widget will become independent after it is modified. Hit Continue to proceed.
You can retrieve a sharing link for a clone and send it to colleagues. This lets colleagues conveniently review changes without navigating through Pangea CMS. The link can also be shared with colleagues who do not have access to Pangea CMS. To retrieve the sharing link for a clone:
- Under Versions, use the drop-down menu to select the version you want to share.
- Hit the Live site button.
- The sharing link is available in the address bar.
The link is valid for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes have passed, you can generate another link by following the steps above.
By default, Pangea CMS permits a maximum of two versions for each website item. To increase this number for your site, contact Pangea Customer Care.