What's inside this article:
While you're editing a content item, CMS creates regular autosave versions of the item. If you leave the edit screen unexpectedly, the most recent autosave version is kept, ensuring you don't lose unsaved work.
CMS provides an autosave version if the edit screen closes without you clicking Save & close or Close, for example:
- If your browser crashes
- If you close the tab or browser window
- If you navigate to a different screen in CMS
No. Autosave applies only for the following text-based content items:
Changes to the following settings are never saved in autosave versions:
Changes to all other settings are saved.
No. Your autosave versions (visible at the top of the main Search screen) are visible only to you.
The information below might explain why CMS did not create an autosave version of your work:
- If you close the edit screen by clicking Close, CMS never creates an autosave version (even if the edit screen includes unsaved changes).
- A new autosave version is created every 60 seconds. If you were working on the edit screen for less than 60 seconds, an autosave version is not created.
- Autosave does not work for all content types.
Your current autosave versions are displayed at the top of the main Search screen in CMS. Autosave versions are only visible to you. Click the panel to see a full list of the your autosave versions.
Hover over the panel, and choose your preferred option:
- Edit: Open the autosave version and start editing it.
- Discard: Discard the autosave version. This means:
- If a saved version of the content item exists in CMS, the item will not be deleted. You will delete only the autosave version including unsaved changes.
- If a saved version of the content item does not exist in CMS, the item will be completely deleted.
In most cases, an autosave version is locked for editing by you. This is because when an edit screen closes unexpectedly, the lock is not removed. You need to remove the lock before you can edit the autosave version. Hit the Unlock icon to remove the lock.
When the item is unlocked, the Edit icon is available.
After you hit Edit, you see a dialog that provides basic information about the autosave version. You can check:
- The date and time when the autosave version was created.
- Which settings in the autosave version differ to the current saved version in CMS (appears only if a current saved version exists).
Click Close to proceed. You can then edit the autosave item.
On the edit screen for an autosave version, the following buttons are available at the bottom of the screen:
- Close: The edit screen closes. The autosave version remains available in CMS. However, any changes you made since opening the autosave version are lost.
- Discard & close: The edit screen closes. The autosave version is no longer available in CMS and all unsaved changes are lost.
- Save & close: The edit screen closes. Changes in the autosave version are merged with the current saved version. The autosave version is no longer available in CMS.
- Save: Changes in the autosave version are merged with the current saved version. The edit screen remains open, but you are now editing the current saved version. The autosave version is no longer available in CMS.