What's inside this article:
- Basic information
- Enable distribution and add accounts
- Upload a video
- Add the video metadata
- Request distribution
- Check distribution progress
- Manage a distributed video
- Update additional descriptions
- Manage notifications
Pangea CMS lets you send on-demand video content to the following social media platforms:
After your request is processed, the video is automatically uploaded and published via the selected social media account(s).
This article describes on-demand video distribution. CMS also offers automated and manual streaming to social media. To learn about streaming, see the alternative articles below:
When on-demand video distribution is enabled for your service, the Multimedia distribution panel is available on the edit screen for every video that is manually uploaded to CMS. To enable this feature for your service, contact Pangea Customer Care.
The current connected accounts are visible under Multimedia distribution. To add a new account, contact Pangea Customer Care.
This article explains how to share videos that have already been uploaded to CMS. To learn how to upload a new video file, see the following article:
If the video file has already been uploaded, find it on the main Search screen in CMS. To open the video edit screen, hit the title. For information about using search, see the following article:
The following metadata will be shared with the video and needs to be configured on the video edit screen in CMS:
The title is defined as follows (if 1 is not filled, the text is taken from 2, and so on):
- The Title field in the video's Social media settings
- The Title field in the video's Website teaser settings
- The Title field in the video's General settings
The description is defined as follows (if 1 is not filled, the text is taken from 2, and so on):
- The Introduction field in the video's Social media settings
- The Introduction field in the video's Website teaser settings
- The Introduction field in the video's General settings
- The first characters from the video's Content
If none of the above fields are filled, the video is shared without a description.
To send a video to a social media account:
- Hit Multimedia distribution in the left panel on the video edit screen.
- Tick each account where you want to share the video. You can tick an unlimited number of accounts.
- Hit Save to confirm.
You see the status Waiting to be processed by the distribution partner next to each request.
Go to Check distribution progress for more details.
An icon showing the status of each request is visible under Status. Hover over the icon to see the exact status.
Normally, you see the following statuses in order:
- Waiting to be processed by the distribution partner: CMS has sent the request to the social media platform.
- Processing item: The social media platform is processing the request.
- Distributed to partner: The video is available via the social media platform.
This process normally completes within 2-3 minutes (maximally 4-5 minutes). The status will refresh automatically without the need to close or manually refresh the page.
In some cases, you might see the other statuses below:
- Waiting for file: CMS is still uploading and processing the video file.
- Distribution failed: The social media platform failed to process the request. For details, go to Troubleshooting.
The status Distributed to partner signals that a video has been successfully shared.
Hover over the panel to access the following options:
- (A): Delete media from third party: Remove the video from the social media account.
- (B): Update metadata: Update the metadata for the shared video to match the current metadata defined in CMS.
- (C): Add to a Playlist (YouTube only): Add the video to a particular YouTube playlist.
In rare cases, you see the Distribution failed status.
This might be caused by the following issues:
Distribution to YouTube will fail if the title shared with the video is more than 100 characters. If the title is currently longer than 100 characters, and you see the Distribution failed status, follow these steps:
- Provide a title that is 100 characters or less.
- Go to Multimedia distribution. Hover over the failed request and select the Retry icon.
If the issue was caused by the length of the title, the new request should be successful. Otherwise, go to Distribution account issues.
Failed distribution is normally caused by changes to the social media account, such as:
- The password for the account has been changed.
- Access rights for the account have been changed.
- The token that CMS uses to access the account is broken or expired.
- The platform has blocked access because of security concerns.
If you experience failed distribution:
- As an immediate solution, you can manually upload and publish the video via the social media account.
- Contact Pangea Customer Care so we can identify and resolve the issue.
Each video can be shared with a description that is unique for the individual video.
Your service can also set two additional descriptions. One additional description is shared with every video that is sent to YouTube, and the other is shared with every video that is sent to Facebook. In both cases, the additional description is visible below the main video description.
You can set the text for each additional description via the Site localization tool in CMS. Use the following configuration keys:
The following rules apply for creating an additional description:
- Use plain text only (not HTML).
- To include a link to another page, enter the full URL in plain text (for example, https://www.youtube.com/voanews). The URL will function automatically as a hyperlink.
By default, CMS notifies you about the status of multimedia distribution requests. You receive a notification when:
- A video is successfully distributed.
- Distribution of a video fails.
You might receive a notification message in CMS and / or an email notification.
Optionally disable these notifications or customize how you are notified in your user account. For detailed information, see the following article: